You are here

Six suspects arrested after alleged attack on under-15 Wihdat team

By JT - Oct 21,2017 - Last updated at Oct 21,2017

Under-15 Wihdat players are seen on Friday after allegedly being assaulted by unknown individuals (Photo courtesy of Wihdat Facebook page)

AMMAN — Criminal Investigation Department personnel arrested five more suspects on Saturday who allegedly assaulted the under-15 Wihdat players, after arresting the prime suspect earlier in the day, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.

Personnel at the Southern Amman Police Department have arrested a suspect who allegedly attacked players of the under-15 Wihdat team after a match with Faisaly on Friday, the Public Security Department (PSD) announced on Saturday.

The PSD's media centre said that the Southern Amman PSD received a report, after the match that was held at the Ghamadan Park, according to which nine players and an administrative employee of Wihdat Club had been hospitalised after being attacked by unknown individuals.

The security personnel headed to the hospital and gathered information, noting that six of the injured had received treatment and left, while the other three were still receiving treatment and under observation.

The victims filed a complaint against several men for attacking them in their bus as they were leaving the stadium.

A Southern Amman PSD team identified the main suspect who was arrested on Saturday noon and is currently under investigation.  The team is still searching for other suspects to be referred to court.

According to the PSD statement, a number of spectators tried to initiate fights during the game, but the security personnel stopped them without registering any injuries. 

The Jordan Football Association (JFA) on Saturday condemned the violent actions and the injuries to the players and administrators, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.

A statement issued by the association on Saturday said that, following the directives of HRH Prince Ali, the JFA chairman, the commission held an emergency meeting to discuss the incident.

The prince stressed the young age of the players involved, whom he considered as "his children", adding that "any assault on them is a personal attack to him and the whole Jordanian football family".

 

The executive commission urged the concerned security bodies to identify those responsible and take legal action.

up
26 users have voted.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
3 + 8 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Opinion

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.