You are here

Hamilton will need to get back on pole in Spain

By Reuters - May 10,2018 - Last updated at May 10,2018

BARCELONA — Lewis Hamilton is back on top of the World Championship as Formula One returns to Europe, but the Mercedes driver faces a big battle to stay ahead of Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel in Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix.

Vettel is going for his fourth pole position in a row, and at a circuit that should be a proper benchmark of performance after a thrilling and sometimes chaotic first four races of the season.

The German has never before started from the top slot in Barcelona, however, whereas Hamilton — with more poles than anyone in the history of the sport (73) — has done so in three of the last four years and won twice.

Pole matters because only three of the last 17 races at the Circuit de Catalunya, albeit also three of the last seven, have been won from anywhere else on the grid.

Past performance may provide some comfort to Hamilton but he knows his four-point advantage over fellow four times world champion Vettel owes a lot to luck and that Ferrari have true pace.

“There’s two weird races which have kept us within the mix but you can’t rely on those for the 17 or however many are left,” Hamilton said after being gifted the win in Azerbaijan two weeks ago.

“We need ultimate performance and confidence in the car,” added the reigning champion.

“I’ve got the pace within me, the car has got the pace within it but we’re not unlocking it...we’ve definitely got to improve in lots of areas.”

Barcelona, resurfaced with smoother asphalt but holding no surprises after weeks of pre-season testing there, could come as something of a relief to Vettel after two chaotic races off the podium following two wins.

It is also where the technical battle between the teams, now within easy reach of their factories and enjoying the first use of their palatial paddock “motorhomes” this season, really starts to heat up.

“It’s the first step of the development race that looks like it could run to the very end of the season,” commented Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff.

“It will be interesting to see how much performance the teams can find with their upgrades and what impact those upgrades will have on the team ranking — both at the front and in the midfield.”

Spain is also no stranger to drama, with the two Mercedes drivers colliding in 2016 in a race that saw Dutch teenager Max Verstappen win on his Red Bull debut.

Verstappen arrives this time after being cast in the doghouse along with Australian teammate Daniel Ricciardo for a collision in Baku.

Barcelona, with good memories for both, offers a chance to hit the reset button.

“We have many updates coming, hopefully they will be positive and we can be even closer to the front, but of course everybody else will also bring new parts,” said Verstappen, whose teammate won in China. 

“It could be quite a defining moment for the season and I’m interested to see how everyone will perform.”

Meanwhile, Williams failed in a bid to overturn a three-place grid penalty imposed on Russian Sergey Sirotkin for this weekend’s Spanish Formula One Grand Prix.

The former champions had sought a review of five incidents at the April 29 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, arguing that significant and relevant new elements had emerged. The stewards unanimously rejected that, however.

Sirotkin had crashed into the back of the Force India driven by Mexican Sergio Perez, who ultimately finished third in a chaotic race in Baku, on the opening lap with the Russian retiring immediately.

The stewards said the incident “was not similar to other first lap incidents where cars were side-by-side. The penalty was similar to other penalties for similar collisions and was consistent with the minimum grid penalties given previously”.

Williams had questioned the stewards’ decision in relation to other collisions.

They had also referenced the response to McLaren’s Fernando Alonso, who was hit on the first lap and limped back to the pits with two punctures before rejoining with a badly-damaged car and finishing seventh.

That was one place ahead of Williams’ Canadian teenager Lance Stroll.

Race director Charlie Whiting, who was present in the meeting convened by teleconference, noted that Alonso returned to the pits while the Safety Car was deployed.

He had also taken care to avoid the racing line and keep clear of following traffic.

up
56 users have voted.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
2 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.