You are here

‘Jordan does not beg for aid; it is int’l moral duty’

By JT - Mar 21,2018 - Last updated at Mar 22,2018

Lower House Speaker Atef Tarawneh speaks at a meeting of the Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe on Wednesday (Petra photo)

AMMAN — Lower House Speaker Atef Tarawneh on Wednesday said that Jordan “does not beg for financial assistance” from the international community as it is neither a gift nor a favour, but a moral duty, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.

This moral duty touches on the obligations of international organisations, which means they are required to provide more support to host countries, the speaker added. 

Opening a meeting of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, attended by senior officials and MPs, Tarawneh said the consecutive refugee crises have weakened Jordan’s economic growth and increased unemployment rates. “Jordan has received a large influx of refugees over the past ten years that probably big countries cannot bear or cope with.” 

Tarawneh also said that the “non-stop” influx of refugees into the Kingdom has also had security and social consequences, adding, “limited-resource Jordan feels it is left alone by the international community”, Petra reported. 

The speaker added that the 1.3 million of Syrians living in Jordan amounting to one fifth of the Kingdom’s population, with only 10 per cent of them living in refugee camps while the remaining 90 per cent living in major cities and governorates, constituting “tremendous” pressure on infrastructure, services and job opportunities.  

On the Palestinian issue, Tarawneh urged stakeholders to abide by the international commitments made at the recent Rome meeting in support of UNRWA and called for exerting pressure to stop the continued threat to weaken the relief agency’s role, according to Petra. 

up
39 users have voted.

Comments

NO ONE CAN DOUT THIS BECAUSE ASKING THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY TO PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE AND FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THEIR PLEDGES TO THE HUMANITERIAN ORGANIZATIONS CAN NEVER BE EQUATED TO BEGGING. RATHER THAN ANY ONE USING THE WORD " BEGGER ", WE SHOULD ALL BE THANKFUL TO HIS MAJESTY AND ALL JORDANIANS.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
4 + 8 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.