You are here

Palestinians shot dead after Jerusalem, West Bank attacks

By AFP - Apr 25,2015 - Last updated at Apr 25,2015

Hebron, Palestinian Territories — Israeli security forces on Saturday shot dead a Palestinian man who stabbed an officer in the West Bank hours after a knife-wielding teenager was killed at an East Jerusalem checkpoint.

The two incidents are the latest in a spate of apparent lone wolf attacks by Palestinians targeting Israeli civilians and security personnel since last October.

In Hebron in the south of the Israeli-occupied West Bank, an Israeli officer shot dead a Palestinian man who was stabbing a colleague at a checkpoint near the Tomb of Patriarchs, or Ibrahimi Mosque as it is known to Muslims, security forces said.

Spokeswoman Luba Samri said the security officer was in moderate condition with stab wounds to the head and chest.

The 20-year-old suspected assailant, named by Palestinian media as Assad Al Salayma, died of his injuries en route to hospital in Jerusalem.

An AFP correspondent said Israeli soldiers prevented Palestinians from gaining access to the area after the attack.

Just before midnight on Friday, Israeli forces shot dead a 17-year-old Palestinian who tried to stab their colleagues at a checkpoint in occupied Arab East Jerusalem, Samri said.

The youth from Al Tur neighbourhood, identified by Palestinian activists as Ali Al Ghannam, managed to get past one checkpoint but was brought down at a second near Al Zaim after charging it armed with a cleaver.

There were no police casualties.

Israeli forces distributed a photograph of a knife and cleaver they said the suspect had been carrying.

Jerusalem security commander Moshe Edri said the “determined actions” of security forces at the two checkpoints “saved lives”.

Al Zaim checkpoint, where the suspect was shot dead shortly before midnight (2100 GMT Friday), lies on the main highway east from Jerusalem.


East Jerusalem clashes 


Clashes broke out in Ghannam’s home neighbourhood on Saturday as young Palestinians in Al Tur protested against his killing.

Dozens of protesters threw stones and rolled burning tyres at Israeli security forces, who responded with tear gas and rubber bullets, an AFP correspondent reported.

More than 25 Palestinians were taken for medical treatment, the correspondent said.

Samri said one officer had suffered minor injuries from a stone to the face and police had used “riot dispersal means” to quell the protest.

She told AFP no arrests were made.

Palestinians in east Jerusalem declared a general strike.

A Palestinian information centre said that security forces were refusing to release Ghannam’s body for burial unless the family agreed to restrictions on the number of mourners.

The boy’s father rejected the Israeli terms, the Silwan information centre said on its Facebook page.

Israel routinely places restrictions on the funerals of Palestinians killed in suspected political violence in a bid to prevent them becoming the focus of protests.

There was no immediate claim of involvement by any Palestinian group in Ghannam’s actions and he had no known affiliations.

Tensions have been running high in and around Jerusalem since the killings of Israeli and Palestinian captives in tit-for-tat kidnappings by Palestinian militants and Jewish extremists last summer.

Earlier this month, an Israeli man was killed and a woman seriously hurt when a Palestinian driver deliberately rammed his car into a bus stop.

134 users have voted.


Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.