You are here

Court to retry man in Zarqa revenge attack case

By Rana Husseini - Aug 11,2022 - Last updated at Aug 11,2022

AMMAN — The State Security Court (SSC) has decided to retry a defendant sentenced to death in absentia in March 2021 in the case of a 16-year-old boy who was a victim of a brutal revenge attack in Zarqa in October 2020, according to a senior judicial source.

“One of the 17 men who were sentenced last year was at large, and was recently re-arrested,” the senior judicial source said.

The defendant was referred to the SSC for a “chance to be present in court and present any evidence in his case”, the source told The Jordan Times.

Five other defendants were sentenced to death, while four received prison terms ranging from one to 15 years in prison.

Seven other defendants in the case were acquitted on all charges due to lack of evidence.

The Court of Cassation upheld the SSC rulings against all the defendants in June of this year.

The 17 men stood trial for cutting off the boy’s upper limbs and gouging out one of his eyes on October 13, 2020.

The victim was lured by the defendants to a deserted area in Zarqa where he was then assaulted to avenge a crime that was committed by one of his relatives, according to court papers.

The incident sparked outrage, sadness and fear in Jordanian society. Thousands took to social media to express their anger and disapproval of the incident, and called on the justice system to inflict the maximum punishment against the perpetrators.

The defendants stood trial at the SSC on charges of forming a gang, attempted murder, causing permanent disability, kidnapping, indecent assault, carrying out a terrorist act and spreading fear amongst the public, in addition to carrying and possessing blunt instruments, carrying and possessing a firearm without a license and resisting security forces.

The defence team contested the SSC’s jurisdiction over the case during the initial stages of the trial.

His Majesty King Abdullah immediately issued directives to provide all necessary medical care to the 16-year-old boy. Premier Bisher Khasawneh paid a visit to the victim in hospital to check on his well-being. 

 

up
9 users have voted.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.