You are here

Condemnations pour in from across Kingdom after Jerash knife attack

By Rana Husseini - Nov 07,2019 - Last updated at Nov 07,2019

The Roman City of Jerash, some 45 kilometres north of Amman, is one of Jordan's most popular tourist sites (Photo by Amjan Ghsoun)

AMMAN — Jordanians on Wednesday strongly condemned a stabbing incident that targetted tourists in the ancient city of Jerash earlier in the day.

Eight people, including four tourists and four Jordanians, were injured on Wednesday after being stabbed by a man in Jerash, Police Spokesperson Lt. Col. Amer Sartawi said.

The injured tourists include three Mexicans and a Swiss national, Sartawi told The Jordan Times. 

“The suspect is in police custody and is currently being questioned to learn more about the motives,” he added.

The Iftaa Department issued a statement shortly after the stabbing incident took place, describing it as “an ugly incident that contradicts our Islamic religious, teachings that call for being welcoming to guests, preserving bloodshed and human lives”.

“The crime that happened is not acceptable by any norm or religion and has no relation to our genuine Arab Islamic manners in this blessed, safe and secure country,” the Ifta department said in its statement.

Condemnations also came from the Senate’s Tourism and Heritage Committee. Panel President Senator Ghazi Abu Hassan said that there can be no justification for the brutal crime, which does not represent Jordan’s values and principles. 

Jordan has always been and will continue to be “an oasis of security and stability”, Abu Hassan said, describing the incident as “individual”, according to the Jordan New Agency, Petra.  

The Jordanian Teachers Association (JTA) also issued a statement condemning the stabbing incident in Jerash on Wednesday.

“The JTA strongly condemns the cowardly stabbing act by an individual against a group of tourists and Jordanians, and rejects any form of violence against individuals who are in Jordan,” the association said in its statement.

 “We have six people who are being treated at the hospital and two, a Mexican tourist and a Jordanian, were transferred to the King Hussein Medical Centre via helicopter for further treatment,” Jerash Government Hospital Director Sadeq Etoum told The Jordan Times.

Health Minister Saad Jaber, the Mexican ambassador, the northern region police director and director of Jerash Public Hospital checked on the injured.

 Social media users condemned the attack, describing it as “cowardly and not accepted by anyone”.

“This individual who stabbed people in Jerash represents only himself and we are against what he did. I wish everyone who was injured a speedy recovery,” Facebook user Imad Ayouti wrote.

“The attacker wants to destabilise the country and harm the tourist industry. I hope he gets a tough punishment for what he did,” said Keian Abu Ammra, another user.

up
27 users have voted.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
3 + 14 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.